Linnea holding our beautiful creation! We love it!
Whoops almost forgot the ribbon! Silly us!
For the skirt we had to go through a long process. First we though that we would just keep the shape and cut the oval in the back however we found that we needed three more inches of fabric so we got creative and added the middle sheer fabric. Sewing it to the top of the skirt.
Sew, Sew, Sew…
And done! *Tries it on* Oh crud. So after we added the additional length we than realized we now had a width problem (this isn’t as easy as it looks you know). So we went back to ripping and added the same strip of fabric to the side seams on each side. Keep in mind that we had 3 layers of fabric to seam rip than three layers of fabric to add the strip of sheer fabric to. This took about 2 more hours and 2 cups of coffee.
We are now exhausted but we try to finish up the skirt so we cut out 6 more strips of sheer fabric, 3 for each side, and start pinning. Keep in mind the sheer fabric is two different kinds, the see through goldish color and then a barley see through white sheer so that on the skirt it would be layered. Now we just have to sew this in!
Next I had to get the fabric. Now I do have to admit that this is not completely my own dress because I did in fact use fabric from an original dress than took it apart to use in my own design. The rest of the fabric that I used was left over from my mother’s wedding dress and she happily let me use it to make my own dress. Here is the original dress and the first steps of us taking it apart by a process called “seam ripping”.
While ripping out seams I was drawing a pattern so that we could cut the shape I wanted out of the fabric. It was a long and meticulous process that took about 2 hours, thankfully we had coffee.
Once we had the bottom separated from the top…
we could finally cut out the shape of what would be the waist up.
I did a really great warm up project over the last few weekends was great. I decided to make my Winter Formal Dress! The First few Steps were to design the dress, get the fabric, and have all the patterns ready. Here is the design stage!
This was the first design…than I made a few changes.
Finally it was fine for the final design! This one was in pen!
Here is a picture of me washing my prom dress fabric! Yeah, progress!
Around 9 o’clock we decided to take a break and fool around a little when the fog cleared. Tons of muddy fun!
In Picture: Mr. Dusky (far left), My Dad (middle), Mr. Dusky’s daughter (far right)
My dad and I love spending time together and he has taught me everything I know about guns and shooting. We messed around and even shot some decoys!
There were guns lined up in racks like these as far as the eye can see. Or at least that is how it seemed.