Next I had to get the fabric. Now I do have to admit that this is not completely my own dress because I did in fact use fabric from an original dress than took it apart to use in my own design. The rest of the fabric that I used was left over from my mother’s wedding dress and she happily let me use it to make my own dress. Here is the original dress and the first steps of us taking it apart by a process called “seam ripping”.
While ripping out seams I was drawing a pattern so that we could cut the shape I wanted out of the fabric. It was a long and meticulous process that took about 2 hours, thankfully we had coffee.
Once we had the bottom separated from the top…
we could finally cut out the shape of what would be the waist up.